Global young leaders’ congress The Big Hope, which in 2008 brought more than 800 delegates from 63 countries together to debate issues facing future generations, is to return in 2018.
The Big Hope 2 will take place between 13th-20th June 2018.
People aged 16-35 from around the world will debate issues including freedom, conflict, equality and change, and will have the chance to develop skills in leadership and affecting positive change.
Workshops, seminars and keynote speeches will focus on technology, faith, politics, entrepreneurship and employment, and the arts.
Confirmed keynote speakers for the 2018 event include:
- Colonel John Blashford-Snell OBE (Explorer)
- Rt Hon Charles Clarke (Former Home Secretary and Former Secretary of State for Education and Skills)
- Richard Scudamore (Executive Chairman of the Premier League)
- Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale MBE (Director at Everton Football Club, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Everton Football Club and Executive Chair of the Club’s official charity, Everton in the Community)
- Professor Sugata Mitra (School of Education, Communication and Language Sciences, Newcastle University, and winner of the 2013 TED Prize)
- Father Michael Lapsley, SMM (South African Anglican priest and social justice activist)
- Lord Charles Guthrie, Baron Guthrie of Craigiebank
- Baroness Caroline Cox (President of the Humanitarian Aid Relief Trust (HART))
Official partners for 2018 include Everton Football Club, Cafod, Anne Frank House, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine and Apsaras Arts Singapore.
Discussion forum guests include Baroness Ilora Finlay, Professor Stephan Wassong, David Unsworth, Max Steinberg and The Right Reverend Paul Bayes. More speakers to be confirmed.
Organisers Liverpool Hope University are inviting businesses, religious and community organisations from around the world to help shape the programme. This could include offering keynote speakers, sponsoring events or international delegates, hosting delegate visits or offering sessions in which delegates can learn a new skill.
Professor Gerald Pillay, Vice Chancellor & Rector at Liverpool Hope University, said: “The time is right for us to host The Big Hope 2. The world is a very different place compared to when we first met ten years ago. Lasting connections were formed, delegates were inspired, and they challenged themselves to make the society around them a better place.
“Now is the time to see how far we have come, take a serious look at what we can do next, and inspire the next generation of leaders to come forward and be counted. We are better together, which is why we are inviting partners to play a big part in shaping the programme.”
As part of The Big Hope 2 there will also be a fundraising ‘Run for Hope’ in April 2018, and a crowdfunding page has been set up to bring 12 young people from the West Bank in Palestine to the congress.
The original Big Hope was the University’s official contribution to the 2008 Liverpool European Capital of Culture celebrations and the European Parliament’s Year of Intercultural Dialogue.
Visit the Big Hope 2 website for more information: http://www.thebighope.info/
To find out more or get involved please contact: +44 (0)151 291 2018 email@example.com
Tickets are now available for The Big Hope 2. Day and week passes are available via: http://store.hope.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/events/the-big-hope-2