Frequently Asked Questions about Studying in Canada

FAQ by International Students


Q: What are the requirements for admission into Canadian universities?

A: Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding admission requirements. Contact each university directly for the admission requirements of the program you’re interested in. Find a program and click on the name of the university for its website and contact information.

Q: I have been accepted to study English as a Foreign Language (ESL)/French as a Foreign Language (FSL) at a private institution in Canada. How can I make sure that it is a good quality program?


A: Languages Canada provides a quality assessment of the language schools across Canada and offers lists of approved programs and members.

Q: I am a citizen of one country, but have lived in another country for a long time. Where should I apply for a Study Permit/Visa, in my country of citizenship or my country of residence?

A: You can apply for your Study Permit/Visa in your country of residence, your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted. For information on where to send your application, see the list of Canadian Visa Offices.

Q: I have finished two years of my program in my home country. I would like to finish the last year of my program in Canada. Will a Canadian institution accept my first two years of study and allow me to start in the third year of the program in Canada?

A: Each university in Canada has its own policy regarding transfer credits from other institutions. Contact the university directly to find out which transfer credits, if any, can be applied towards your intended program of study. You may also want to research if your current institution has any agreements with institutions in Canada that would allow for credit recognition. The international relations office of your university may be able to help in that regard.

Q: I was accepted at a Canadian institution and sent in my application for a Study Permit/Visa a few weeks ago, but I haven’t heard anything. Can you tell me when my Study Permit/Visa will arrive? Can you do anything to speed up the process so I get my Study Permit/Visa right away?

A: Visas and Study Permits are administered by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. Please direct all questions regarding your application status to them. Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada has no involvement or influence in regards to Visas and Study Permits.

Q: Can my spouse work in Canada while I study?

A: Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for a Work Permit if you are a full-time student at an authorised institution and have a Study Permit. For more details visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Q: My child is a Canadian citizen, but we have been living outside Canada for many years. How can I find out what grade my child will go into when we return to Canada? Does she/he need to apply as an international student?

A: Education in Canada is under the jurisdiction of the provinces/territories, so you will need to contact the province or territory where you plan to live, as well as your new city or town’s school board. As a Canadian citizen, your child would not be required to apply as an international student, and therefore would not need a Visa or Study Permit.